A small selection of recent UK politics news articles
- Failed at the NHS? Try again at HS2: Newly appointed director at rail project has history of ‘wasting public money’ – UK Politics – UK – The Independent
- The public sector isn’t perfect but at least it doesn’t fleece us | Will Hutton | Comment is free | The Observer
- Getting documents all too easy for Snowden o The Register
Snowden used the open-source wget utility to download documents. Snowden’s success shows very poor security at NSA – my system employs better security policies.
- Armed police on mental health wards, FOI report reveals | The Voice Online
A very disturbing account of South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust covering-up the death of mental health patient Olaseni Lewis on 1 October, 2012.
The report mentioned that police were called to the scene, but omitted the scale of the response which, according to details in a Freedom of Information request, included Territorial Support Group riot police and the Armed Response Unit. In total, 48 officers and two dogs attended the scene.
Human rights campaigner David Mery who made the FOI request, said he was concerned about the report’s omissions and the way in which “crucial details” were “left out.”
He said: “Normally they would make it clear that information has been blacked out. Learning that 48 police officers were deployed for this incident is incredible. What else are they not saying?”
- Youngsters bear debt burden as older generation avoids squeeze, poll shows | Money | The Guardian
- Immigration Minister Mark Harper Resigns Over Illegally Employed Cleaner