Words are not enough, campaigners warn after Miliband criticises Israel’s new illegal settlement plans

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/words-are-not-enough-campaigners-warn-after-miliband-criticises-israels-new-illegal

 Israeli settlers put up Israeli flags on a Palestinian sturucture on the outskirts of the occupied West Bank city of Beit Sahour, August 14, 2026

WORDS are not enough against all of Israel’s “atrocities,” campaigners warned today after Ed Miliband criticised Tel Aviv’s new illegal settlement plans.

The Foreign Secretary said Britain would not “stand back and accept the destruction of the two-state solution,” as he pledged to set out measures in response to Israeli policies in the coming weeks.

He said Britain had been clear publicly and privately about its opposition to the E1 settlement project, which he said risks endangering a two-state solution by separating the West Bank from East Jerusalem.

“I made clear to the Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar that the Israeli government must halt E1 plans immediately, retract the tender and stop all settlement expansion,” he said.

The Foreign Office also summoned Israel’s charge d’affaires to set out Britain’s “profound objection” to the new settlement plans.

Mr Miliband said: “This Israeli government’s publication of a tender for the E1 settlement project is an unacceptable and destructive act.

“All settlements damage that prospect and are a flagrant breach of international law.”

He said the expansion of settlements and “attempts to create irreversible divisions” on the ground threaten peace and prospects for a Palestinian state.

But Palestine Solidarity Campaign deputy director Ryvka Barnard said that while Mr Miliband is right to condemn the settlement project, his words “must be matched by decisive action against all of Israel’s atrocities against Palestinians.”

“That doesn’t just mean action against Israel’s illegal settlements in the West Bank, but also against its ongoing genocide in Gaza and the apartheid system it imposes across historic Palestine,” she told the Star.

“Unless truly comprehensive sanctions are imposed on Israel – including a full arms embargo and a ban on all trade that aids or assists Israel’s unlawful occupation of Palestinian territory – Andy Burnham’s government risks falling to the same fate as Keir Starmer’s: plummeting support and a disgraceful legacy.”

Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar hit back at Mr Miliband’s comments and its “patronising tone,” writing on X: “There have been no new decisions regarding development in E1. The decision was made in 2025.

“The tender process has been underway for several months, with certain tender documents published only in recent days.”

See the original article in full at https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/words-are-not-enough-campaigners-warn-after-miliband-criticises-israels-new-illegal

Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it's fun to kill everyone ... unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Donald Trump sings and dances, says that it’s fun to kill everyone … unless he gets distracted or falls asleep.
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace
Donald Trump explains why he established his Bored of Peace

Continue ReadingWords are not enough, campaigners warn after Miliband criticises Israel’s new illegal settlement plans

dizzy thinks …

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.

dizzy thinks (DT) … that Andy Burnham should be commended for his efforts – or at least apparent efforts – to defeat homelessness in UK but the problem remains that he and his UK government are still so supportive of and complicit in Israel’s colonial expansionist actions. That’s complicity in genocide and war crimes.

Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza's hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel. New Labour UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham continues Labour party policy of active support and complicity in Israel's genocide.
Keir Starmer objects to criticism of the IDF. He asks how could anyone object to them starving people to death, forced marches like the Nazis did, bombing Gaza’s hospitals and universities, mass-murdering journalists, healthworkers and starving people queuing for food, killing and raping prisoners and murdering children. He calls for people to stop obstructing his genocide for Israel. New Labour UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham continues Labour party policy of active support and complicity in Israel’s genocide.
Continue Readingdizzy thinks …

Iran labels California its ‘new territory’ after Trump’s Hormuz claim

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi. [@Gharibabadi/X]

An official Iranian social media account labeled California a “new territory” of Iran on Tuesday in response to US President Donald Trump posting an image portraying the Strait of Hormuz as “NEW U.S. Territory,” Anadolu reports.

Trump shared the image on his Truth Social account Tuesday, showing a map of the Strait of Hormuz with the strategic waterway circled beneath the words “NEW U.S. Territory,” following up on his earlier remarks saying the strait would be made US territory after the war ends.

The White House later reposted Trump’s post on its official account on US social media platform X.

In response, the official Iran in Hyderabad account on X posted a map of the US showing California highlighted in blue, with the words: “NEW TERRITORY OF ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN.”

Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s deputy foreign minister, also hit back at Trump’s post, writing on X: “His delusion regarding the Strait of Hormuz will soon either be corrected, or we will correct the delusions of this delusional man.”

READ: Trump says no talks with Iran underway or scheduled

California, particularly the Los Angeles area, is home to the largest concentration of people of Iranian descent outside Iran. An estimated 141,000 Iranian Americans live in Los Angeles County, according to the Iranian Diaspora Dashboard hosted by UCLA’s Center for Near Eastern Studies.

The Iranian community in Southern California expanded significantly following Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution, with the Westwood area of Los Angeles becoming a major center of Iranian diaspora life, commonly known as “Tehrangeles.”

The exchange comes amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington following months of conflict.

Iran and the US signed a memorandum of understanding in June aimed at ending the war and paving the way for a broader agreement, but talks have since stalled amid disputes over its implementation and navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.

Negotiations involving Iran and Oman over arrangements for navigation through the strategic waterway, meanwhile, have continued without a breakthrough.

OPINION: Iran’s supreme leader is back in control. That may be why diplomacy with Washington just collapsed

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don't need people to join wars after they've already won. He's challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don’t need people to join wars after they’ve already won. He’s challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up

Continue ReadingIran labels California its ‘new territory’ after Trump’s Hormuz claim

ICC rejects new US sanctions, calls them ‘flagrant attack’ on judicial independence

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

A general view of the International Criminal Court (ICC) building in The Hague, Netherlands on April 30, 2024 [Selman Aksünger/Anadolu Agency]

The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Wednesday strongly rejected new US sanctions targeting the court’s president and a senior lawyer in its prosecutor’s office, describing the measures as a “flagrant attack” on judicial independence, Anadolu reports.

The latest designations target ICC President Tomoko Akane of Japan and Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal, a senior trial lawyer at the Office of the Prosecutor, the Hague-based court said in a statement.

The ICC said nine of its 18 judges, both deputy prosecutors, a former prosecutor and one staff member are now under US sanctions.

“These sanctions are a flagrant attack against the independence of an impartial judicial institution which operates pursuant to the mandate conferred by its States Parties from across regions,” the court said.

READ: US sanctions International Criminal Court’s president, official

Measures targeting judges, prosecutors and other court personnel for carrying out the ICC’s mandate undermine the rule of law and put the international legal order at risk, it added.

The court also warned that threats and coercive measures affect victims’ ability to seek justice, particularly when they turn to the ICC after exhausting all other avenues.

“The court will continue to fully discharge its mandate with independence and impartiality, in full accordance with the Rome Statute and in the interest of victims of international crimes,” it said.

It also welcomed expressions of support from member states, civil society organizations and others backing international justice and the rule of law.

READ: Netanyahu flight through Europe raises questions over ICC obligations of Rome Statute states

This work by Middle East Monitor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don't need people to join wars after they've already won. He's challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
Donald Trump calls for help from NATO allies in securing the Strait of Hormuz despite saying on 7 March 2026 that they don’t need people to join wars after they’ve already won. He’s challenged with the claim that he lies as much as the IDF.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham admits to blatently lying and engaging in deception to become leader of the UK Labour Party and Prime Minister.
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up
Orcas discuss rotting brain, front Orca says Sundown Syndrome is a dead givaway and he wishes someone would Lock Him Up

Continue ReadingICC rejects new US sanctions, calls them ‘flagrant attack’ on judicial independence